For Albasrah net

Iraqi Resistance Report, Thursday, 20 November 2003 through Sunday, 23 November 2003.

Translated and/or compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member Free Arab Voice
editorial board.

Thursday, 20 November 2003.

The Iraqi Resistance carried out a number of attacks

against the American occupation, inflicting casualties

and material losses.  Meanwhile the occupation forces

continued their raids and repression, blowing up

houses and arresting Iraqi citizens in their attempt

to put down the rising tide of resistance and

intimidate its supporters.


A spokesman for the US occupation forces said that one

American soldier was killed and two others injured on

Thursday when an explosion struck their military

convoy near the city of ar-Ramadi, west of Baghdad.

According to the US spokesman, the Resistance fighters

detonated an explosive device as the occupation convoy

passed on a road east of the city.


Elsewhere, witnesses reported that an explosives-laden

car exploded in the town of ar-Ramadi, damaging the

office of the puppet Interim Governing Council that

was appointed by the aggressor forces.  This was part

of a series of attacks on the occupation forces and

their collaborators in the town on Wednesday night.


Reports about losses from the blast are conflicting,

but a hospital official said that seven were killed in

the attack that occurred at 10:00pm local time.  A

puppet policeman said he saw six bodies.


A spokesman for the US occupation army confirmed that

an explosion of an explosives-laden car had occurred

in ar-Ramadi, 100km west of Baghdad, but gave no

further details.  Witnesses said that they believe the

attack to have been due to a human bomb.


One resident who lives near the building that was

targeted by the blast said "a car came speeding up

loaded with explosives and the driver blew himself up

inside the car."


In another attack, eye witnesses said that Mahmud

Jarju', a tribal leader known for collaborating with

was shot to death on Wednesday night.


The son of the chief of the puppet police of the

region, Jadan al-'Alwani, was wounded in an attack on

his house with automatic weapons and a handgrenade.


Medical sources report that two Iraqis were killed and

12 other injured when a booby-trapped car exploded on

the night of Wednesday-Thursday in front of the house

of a tribal leader of ar-Ramadi.


Doctors in ar-Ramadi Hospital said that two relatives

of the shaykh, 'Amer 'Abd al-Jabbar 'Ali Sulayman,

head of ad-Daylam, one of the largest tribes in the

province of al-Anbar were killed in a blast that also

took the lives of 12 other Iraqis.


Hundreds of fully armed members of ad-Daylam assembled

in ar-Ramadi for the funeral of their relatives.


The US occupation forces said that on Wednesday they

had foiled four attacks in the city of ar-Ramadi and

killed eight Iraqi attackers.


The occupation forces claimed that they found a bomb

on the main communications tower in Baghdad, whereupon

they closed off the entire area.  An American military

officer on the scene said that a hand-made bomb was

discovered on the communications tower which is

located in the al-Mansur residential neighborhood.


A correspondent for the AFP heard the sound of an

explosion in the area which might have been the sound

of the bomb being detonated by American sappers,

although US officials refused to say whether the bomb

had been detonated by experts or whether it had gone

off, and they likewise gave no information regarding

damage or casualties.


The communications center lies near the tower which

received sever damage during the American aggressor

air raids during their invasion in the spring, but the

occupation is endeavoring to establish alternative

telephone exchanges in order to re-establish telephone

connections in Iraq.


The security cordon thrown up by the occupation forces

around the area in which they discovered the bomb led

to large scale traffic and pedestrian congestion in

that area of Baghdad.


In Karbala' in southern Iraq, at least four mortar

shells were fired into the camp of Thai occupation

troops Thursday, officials in Bangkok announced on

Friday.  The officials reported no casualties.


The US occupation claimed on Thursday that it thwarted

a Resistance attack by arresting two men in Tikrit on

suspicion that they were planning to launch surfact to

air missiles at an occupation aircraft. Lieutenant

Colonel Steven Russel said that the US occupation

forces had received information that the two were

planning missile attacks and said that they were

apprehended on Wednesday night.  The aggressor forces

are still searching for a third man.  He said that no

weapons were found, but the US forces are continuing

their searches in Tikrit, 180km north of Baghdad.


Explosions have been shaking Tikrit since Sunday as

the US 4th Infantry continues its offensive, using

artillery and air strikes, in an effort to destroy

positions used by the Resistance.


A powerful bomb apparently hidden in a pickup truck

exploded Thursday at the offices of a

US-collaborationist Kurdish political party in this

northern oil center, killing five people and wounding

40, according to an Associated Press (AP) dispatch,

which added that children were among the casualties.

A report from the French news agency, AFP specified

that a school mistress and two pupils were among the



The explosion threw up a cloud of black smoke and

shook buildings throughout the city, the BBC reported.


The explosion in Kirkuk occurred at about 10:30am,

said Jalal Jawhar, an official with the so-called

Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), a party that is

cooperating with the US occupation. The PUK supports

American efforts in occupied Iraq, and its chief Jalal

Talabani, now holds the rotating chairmanship of the

US-installed puppet Iraqi Governing Council. The US

government maintains that the Islamist organization

Ansar al-Islam, which is believed to be based in the

largely Kurdish areas of northern Iraq and which is

part of the Resistance against the US occupation, has

ties to al-Qa'ida.


The explosion shattered windows and damaged doors at

the two-story, yellow-and-green building and blew out

the windows of the nearby radio and television



A security guard in Kirkuk, Asad Ahmad, told the

Associated Press that he saw the pickup truck moving

before the blast but he was unsure if the driver was

inside when it exploded. Jawhar said security had been

bolstered around the building because of intelligence

reports that an attack was likely.


Some US officials suspect Ansar al-Islam is working

with forces supporting Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

 Echoing the rhetoric of his American superiors, the

PUK's Jawhar told the AP: "We think that Islamic

terrorist groups and remnants of the Saddam (Hussein)

regime are behind the attack," he said. "They are

coordinating between them."  No group initially

claimed responsibility for the attack in Kirkuk.


It was the second car bombing in as many days

targeting Iraqis who cooperate with the US-led

occupation. Mayor 'Abd ar-Rahman Mustafa said "all

indications point" to a martydom attack, because one

unidentified body could be the driver.


The blast happened at about the same time as deadly

bombings in Istanbul, Turkey, where the London-based

HSBC bank and the British consulate were the targets.

The twin attacks - blamed on al-Qa'ida - coincided

with President Bush's state visit to London.


Elsewhere, a pro-US politician was assassinated in the

southern city of Basra.


An early morning attack on the Jordanian Embassy in

Baghdad left an Iraqi security guard dead.  Two

unidentified men opened fire before dawn Thursday

outside the new Jordanian Embassy, killing an Iraqi

security guard, police said. Iraqi police officer

Hatem Abd al-Karim said witnesses told police that two

attackers opened fire and fled at about 5:00am.


The Jordanians moved to the new chancellery after an

Aug. 7 car bombing killed 19 people at their former



On Wednesday, American troops killed 10 Iraqis in

Samarra', 60 miles north of Baghdad, after Resistance

forces attacked a coalition convoy according to

Lieutenant Colonel William MacDonald. Two Resistance

fighters died as martyrs in the initial exchange of

fire. Eight were killed when Resistance fighters

attacked US aggressor reinforcements, who returned

fire with M-1A1 Abrams tanks and an Apache helicopter,

MacDonald maintained.  Iraqi witnesses said some of

the dead were civilians caught in the crossfire.

The Assyrian Democratic Movement in Basra said its

member on the municipal council, Sargun Nanu Murado,

was abducted Tuesday and that his body was found

Wednesday. The group, which claims to speak for Iraq's

Assyrian minority, also is on the 25-seat puppet

Governing Council.

The assassination is the second this week of people

working with coalition authorities in southern Iraq.

In the town of Diwaniyah, gunmen killed an education

ministry official on Tuesday.


An American occupation general said Wednesday the

United States stepped up its offensive against

suspected Resistance targets to intimidate the

guerrillas.  "We felt that the enemy had begun to act

with a little more impunity than we want him to have,"

said Brigadier General Martin Dempsey, whose troops

are responsible for security in Baghdad.


The US forces announced in a statement that they had

arrested an Iraqi woman and her six children whom they

suspect of forming an "independent cell" of the

Resistance in al-Fallujah.


The statement said that the occupation forces arrested

the woman, Kurdiya Turki 'Ali,  on Wednesday, calling

her a "leader of a cell" together with her six

children, members of the cell that was active against

US forces.  The arrests took place in the course of

mass raids being carried out by the aggressor forces

in al-Fallujah.


The American statement said that the family was

planning "to attack and sabotage the activities of the

coalition."  It said that they were also suspected of

coordinating an attack on a civil motorcade near

al-Fallujah that led to the killing of contractors

working with the puppet government.  An American

spokesman said that the two victims were Americans.

He said that the motorcade was attacked with

explosives, but did not specify the date of the



The American announcement said that the family had

been taken in "for questioning" and that "Military

Policewomen" were guarding the mother.  The American

statement did not mention the ages of the arrested

family members.


US officers said that 161 people "suspected of

anti-coalition activities" were detained Wednesday in

northern Iraq by the 101st Airborne Division.

Detainees included a member of Ansar al-Islam, the

military said.


The aggressive offensive by US occupation troops comes

in response to the rising tide of Resistance activity

that has yielded a sharp increase in the number of

casualties among aggressor troops and their

collaborators. According to US admissions, about 70

occupation soldiers have died in November, just short

of the toll in April, when 73 Americans died prior to

US President Bush's declaration that "major combat" In

Iraq was over as of the 1st of May.


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Friday, 21 November 2003.



Friday, 21 November 2003.

Two Amercian occupation troops were killed and two

others wounded in the Baghdad area.  One was killed in

an explosion of a booby trap north of Baghdad.

Another was killed and two injured in a grenade attack

in Western Baghdad.


One occupation military communiqué said that an

American soldier had died of wounds he received in an

explosion north of Baghad.


Another report issued by the US occupation forces said

that a soldier belonging to the 4th Infantry Division,

was wounded when his unit was on patrol and their

vehicle detonated an explosive device in the town of

al-Ghalibiyah 15km west of the city of Baaqubah.


In the city of Irbil in northern Iraq, security souces

said that an explosion occurred outside the office of

a British-headquartered agency that specializes in the

removal of land mines on Friday evening.  There were

no immediate reports of casualties.


A security officer at the scene in Irbil said that a

truck loaded with gas was destroyed in the blast that

took place near the Mine Action group.  There are

conflicting reports about the cause of the explosion.


More than a dozen rockets fired from donkey carts

blasted into Iraq's Oil Ministry and two major hotels

in downtown Baghdad on Friday morning in what the

American Associated Press called "brazen coordinated

strikes at some of Baghdad's most heavily protected

'civilian' sites that defied a US crackdown."


Explosions shook Iraq’s oil ministry on Friday

morning, witnesses said, and thick black smoke poured

from the heavily guarded compound.  Five fire trucks

arrived almost immediately and moved about the

ministry extinguishing the fire that had broken out on

the fifth floor, while US occupation troops kept

journalists away.


'Imad Ahmad, a retired civil servant who lives near

the ministry building, said he heard five explosions

at about 7:30am local time.


The attack occurred just minutes after at least three

rockets were fired into the Palestine and Sheraton

hotels in downtown Baghdad where many US workers and

foreign journalists are staying.  A BBC dispatch

reported that "two rocket-propelled grenades appear to

have been fired at the Palestine Hotel and blasts were

also heard at the Sheraton Hotel nearby," for a total

of four rockets.


At least one person was wounded at the Palestine

Hotel, the BBC initially said, on the basis of the

correspondent's having seen a man carried away

bleeding.  Other than that injured person who was

witnessed by a foreign correspondent, the occupation

authorities claim that there were no casualties in

either the Palestine or Sheraton Hotel, or in the Oil



Reports reaching the Jordanian newspaper al-Arab

al-Yawm said that three persons at least were injured

in the Palestine Hotel.


The lack of casualties at the Oil Ministry was

probably no surprise to Resistance Fighters as the

building was closed on Friday for the Muslim day of

congregational prayer.


The attacks sent the message that the heaviest

possible American crackdown on the Resistance was

unable to thwart attacks on even the most "secure"

sites in the heart of the Iraqi capital.  The AP noted

that the two hotels "are among the best-protected in

Baghdad, with several security checkpoints on the

approaches, blast barriers on surrounding streets, and

US armored personnel carriers stationed outside."


A BBC correspondent who was staying in the Sheraton

reported that a rocket-launcher was found nearby on a

donkey cart, and said that it seemed that the

projectiles fired at the two hotels were launched from

that donkey cart.  Jo Floto, who was in his room at

the time of the attack said the blasts occurred around

7:30am on Friday.


The cart, found on Sa'dun street, carried a rocket

launcher with a capacity to fire 30 rockets, according

to Iraqi puppet police first lieutenant 'Amar Arshad.

Although the AP reported that it was "unclear" how

many rockets were fired at the two hotels, it noted

that five rockets remained in the 30-rocket launcher



Later, BBC correspondent Peter Biles, who was in the

Sheraton at the time of the Resistance attack, wrote a

description of the assault which he said was

"terrifying."  He also noted that the hotels were

heavily protected: "A ring of three-and-a-half metre

(ten foot) high concrete blast walls is designed to

prevent suicide car bomb attacks.  There are also US

soldiers with armoured fighting vehicles, endless

rolls of razor wire and security checks for anyone

entering the area."


Colonel Peter Mansoor of the US 1st Armored Division

said that both attacks occurred at about 7:20 am.  He

said that at least eight rockets were launched at the

Oil Ministry but claimed that only two of them

detonated and that "no major damage was done to the



In a measure of the reliability of US military

spokesmen, the AP noted that although Mansoor claimed

that only one rocket hit the Palestine Hotel, at least

five rocket holes could be seen on the eighth, 15th

and 16th floors of the 18-story building.  The AP

reported that "another" rocket hit the Sheraton.


Two other rocket launchers mounted on donkey carts

were found within hours, one 30 meters from the

Italian Embassy and another near the Academy of Fine

Arts both in the Waziriyah neighborhood north of

downtown Baghdad.


Iraqi puppet police and US occupation troops were

observed securing those weapons that apparently had

not been fired.  American occupation troops then set

out to search all donkey carts in nearby streets.


One blast took down the roof of the hotel's atrium,

showering the foyer with Perspex and glass.  The BBC

report said, however, "nobody seemed to have been



On the Palestine Hotel, 100m away, an impact was

clearly visible on the 16th floor.  The BBC

correspondent saw one man being brought out of the

Palestine Hotel with serious blast injuries –

apparently from flying glass.


The Associated Press interviewed a man who gave his

name as Ziyad, a 25-year old Iraqi who was staying at

the Palestine Hotel with his bride on their wedding

night and was two doors down from one of the areas hit

on the 15th floor.  "We were sleeping whenwe heard the

sound of a rocket," he said.  "This is our wedding



The Resistance attacks on the most tightly guarded and

heavily protected sites in downtown Baghdad have come

at the height of the US aggressors' so-called

Operation Iron Hammer, a large counterinsurgency

offensive against the Resistance throughout Iraq.


In Baghdad on Friday evening, four persons were killed

and 20 others injured when a hand grenade was thrown

at a liquor store in the south of the Iraqi capital.


US occupation forces destroyed a house in the town of

al-Khalidiyah in western Iraq on the grounds that it

was being used by Resistance fighters.  A member of

the family of 11 persons who were thereby rendered

homeless, said that while they were breaking their

fast just after sunset, an American military

helicopter fired a rocket that burst through their

roof.  Everyone immediately jumped out of the house

through the windows but were unhurt.


The US occupation forces reported Friday that they had

arrested 131 Iraqis, including one whom they first

wounded, in the course of their intensive raids over

the 24 previous hours west of Baghdadin the areas of

ar-Ramadi and al-Fallujah.  The US also claimed in a

statement to have confiscated large quantities of

weapons, ammunition, and explosives, in addition to

taking large amounts of money, portable telephones and

wireless sets, as well as forged identity papers.


The US aggressor statement said that the American 82nd

Airborne Division wounded "a hostile element" and

arrested 78 others during three of its operations.

Thirty-seven other Iraqis were reported arrested by

the 1st Battalion of the 504th Airborne Infantry

Brigade in one raid.


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm, daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Saturday 22 November 2003.








Saturday, 22 November 2003.


An American occupation military spokesman reported on

Saturday that one American had died apparently from

drowning when his car fell into a canal in Iraq.


Elsewhere, al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper in Amman

reported that three Iraqis were wounded in a rocket

attack on a heavily guarded building belonging to the

company Naft ash-Shimal (Oil of the North), according

to announcements by a company official and the puppet

police.  The company official who wished to remain

anonymous told the AFP that three Iraqis were wounded

in an attack.  Officer in the puppet police Salam

Jalal said that two rockets slammed into the Cultural

and Social Club belonging to the oil company at the

time of night time prayers.  The Cultural and Social

Club is used as a restaurant by Americans and

employees of the company KBR (Kellog, Brown and Root).

 KBR  is a branch of the American Haliburton Group

which is active in oil-related activities in Iraq.

The Club is located inside an area protected by a

security agency made up of Iraqis trained by a private

South African company.


On Sunday the Associated Press filed a report on

apparently the same incident, saying, however, that

three American civilian contractors working for the

occupation were wounded in an explosion in the

northern oil center Kirkuk. The AP said that although

the first reports said the blast was from a mortar,

Lieutenant Colonel Matt Croke said officials later

concluded it was a bomb. The blast occurred overnight

Saturday-Sunday on the compound of the National Oil

Company. Three American employees of the US firm

Kellogg Brown & Root suffered facial cuts from flying

glass, Croke said, according to the AP.


Much bigger attacks were mounted by Iraqi Resistance

martyrdom attackers on Saturday when they detonated

bomb-packed vehicles just before 8:00am Saturday at

police stations in two towns, killing at least 18

people, and wounded more than 50.


The Resistance mounted attacks on the police stations

in Khan Bani Sa'd (50km northeast of Baghdad) and

nearby Baaqubah occurred within a half hour of each

other and came after US imperialist intelligence

reports warned of an upsurge in attacks near the end

of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which comes to a

close in a few days.


In Khan Bani Sa'd, a market town on the northeastern

outskirts of Baghdad, 10 people were killed, including

six policemen, three civilians and the vehicle's

driver, according to US occupation Captain Ryan

McCormick of the 4th Infantry Division.  Iraqi puppet

police said one of the dead was a 5-year-old girl. Ten

people were wounded, McCormick said.


McCormick said a puppet police guard fired on the

approaching vehicle but could not stop the blast. He

said there were no US or other occupation troop



"I was standing at the gate of the station, washing my

car, when I saw a Chevrolet Caprice speed toward the

gate," puppet police Sergeant 'Aqil Suhayl, who was

wounded in the Khan Bani Sa'd attack told the

Associated Press. "I heard a loud explosion. I found

myself under the car. I got out quickly and ran toward

the street and then lost consciousness."  The attack

occurred at about 7:30am local time.


An Agence France Presse correspondent on the scene

said that the Resistance attack left a large hole in

the wall of the building.  The local hospital was

overwhelmed by the casualties.


"We received so many body parts it's difficult to know

how many died," doctor Taleb Husayn at-Tamimi told the



In Baaqubah, about 15km north of Khan Bani Sa'd, three

policemen and the driver were killed in the second

bombing that rocked the main police station in the

city about ten minutes after the attack on Khan Bani

Sa'd. One policeman was listed as missing, puppet

police Lieutenant. Wisam Ahmad said. Puppet officials

said at least 10 civilians were hurt, according to an

AP report.  Altogether, seven were reported killed in

Baaqubah, including five puppet policeman and two

civilians, according to the Jordanian newspaper

al-Arab al-Yawm.


The hospital in Baaqubah was already treating

casualties from the attack on Khan Bani Sa'd when

victims from the second bombing started to come in.


Puppet police Sergeant 'Ammar Ahmad said he saw a

white Nissan Land Cruiser approach the police station

at normal speed. As the driver approached the gate,

police signaled him to stop but instead he detonated

the vehicle.

"There was a driver inside the car," Ahmad said.


There have been five vehicle bombings in Iraq since

Wednesday, mostly targeting Iraqi collaborators with



In Baghdad, a civilian cargo plane was forced to land

with its wing ablaze, apparently hit by a

shoulder-launched missile.  The Resistance attack

forced at least two air carriers to cancel flights in

and out of the occupied Iraqi capital.


The plane, an Airbus A300 with three crew members

aboard, flown by the Belgium-based delivery company

DHL, was trailing thick smoke and missing part of its

wingtip as it made an emergency landing at the

occupied Saddam International Airport. A military

source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the

plane was struck by a Strela SAM-7 surface-to-air



The crew had declared an "in-flight emergency"

according to US military spokesman Colonel Byron



Resistance fighters have used such shoulder-launched

weapons to shoot down military helicopters in central

Iraq. The military said it was still investigating the

cause of the fire. In the past, planes have been

targeted – but, according to the US military not hit -

by rockets as they went in and out of Baghdad airport,

a main hub for US occupation forces and humanitarian

supplies, the military said.


The DHL plane had been headed from Baghdad to Bahrain,

with three crewmembers on board, when it turned around

to make an emergency landing at the Iraqi capital's

international airport, said Xavier De Buck, a DHL

spokesman in Brussels, Belgium.


The US military and DHL said the cause of the fire was

still being investigated. But a military source said

the plane had been struck by a Strela SAM-7 missile,

and the damage appeared consistent with effects of

such an explosion. A photograph taken from the ground

showed flames at the spot where the ailerons and flaps

meet on the left wing's trailing edge.


After the emergency landing, DHL canceled its next

flight into Baghdad, De Buck said. The delivery

company has been making two or three flights a day

into Baghdad since June.


The occupied Saddam International Airport, which has

been turned into a base for US occupation forces, has

not been fully reopened to commercial flights, but

civilian freight carriers operate there. The only

commercial airline serving Baghdad, Royal Jordanian,

said it would suspend flights for three days, but did

not give a reason. AirServ, a South African

organization that flies mainly aid workers, said it

would continue flights to Baghdad.


An Iraqi puppet police colonel in charge of protecting

oil installations was assassinated by the Iraqi

Resistance in northern Iraq, part of what appeared to

be an insurgent campaign against US-appointed security

forces.  Colonel Abd as-Salam Qanbar, who was in

charge of a police force in the northern city of

Mosul, was fatally shot Saturday evening while heading

towards a mosque, a spokesman for the US occupation



Qanbar had been appointed to his post by the Chief of

puppet police in Mosul, Muhammad Burhawi in

coordination with the occupation forces.


The Saturday attacks came one day after the US

Ambassador to the United Nations, John Negroponte,

pled with in the Security Council for more countries

to send troops to join the multi-national occupation

detachment and die for the American occupation of

Iraq.  Negroponte admitted that security in Iraq was

still a "major preoccupation" for the occupation



Offering its own support to the aggressors, Human

Rights Watch in New York made a statement criticizing

the Resistance (whom it referred to only as

"insurgents" in a statement quoted by the AP, in

keeping with the most recent rules laid down for the

US media) for attacking Iraqi "civilians" perceived to

be collaborating with the US-led occupation.  "All

Iraqi civilians are protected by the Geneva

Conventions," Joe Stork, an official with the "human

rights watchdog," said in New York. "It doesn't matter

whether they sympathize with the US occupation or the

insurgents," Stork maintained.


The Human Rights Watch Statement went on to claim that

such attacks amount to "war crimes," and cited such

examples as the assassinations of 'Aqilah al-Hashimi

who served on the Proconsul Paul Bremer's puppet

Interim Council; Sargun Muradu, an Assyrian Christian

representative on the puppet council in Basra also

appointed under the aegis of the occupation; Muhan

Jaber ash-Shuwayli and Isma'il Yusuf, two judges who

were presiding in cases trying Baath Party members;

and Fares Abd ar-Razzaq al-Asam, deputy mayor of

Baghdad appointed by the American occupation.


Stork's statement on behalf of Human Rights Watch

ignored the obvious fact that the point at issue was

not the private opinions of the individuals concerned

but their active collaboration with the occupation

military which is engaged in the repression of all

rights to Iraqi self-determination.


(In a similar vein, prior to the US invasion, Stork of

Human Rights Watch worked to undermine opposition to

the impending war by proclaiming that "solidarity with

the Iraqi people" meant not so much opposition to war

as opposition to the Iraqi government.  This line

bolstered the US Administration's absurd claims to be

targeting "only the Iraqi regime and not the Iraqi

people."  Stork asserted in a January 2003 article in

The Progressive that the planned American invasion was

"a war many ordinary Iraqis have said they look

forward to.")


In Tehran the chargé d'affaires of the Islamic

Republic of Iraq in Baghdad told Iranian Television

that nine Iranians who had been in Anglo-American

custody in Umm Qasr, southern Iraq had been released.

'Ali Rida Haqiqiyan said that the Iranians were

released in two waves, of six and of three each and

that they had arrived at the Iranian mission in

Baghdad after being released on Friday.


Haqiqiyan declined to confirm reports to the effect

that all Iranian prisoners in Iraq had been freed.

According to the Iranian chargé d'affaires the total

number of Iranian prisoners in Iraq is 56.  Haqiqiyan

maintains that they all entered Iraq in order to make

pilgrimages to Shiite shrines in the country but were

arrested due to their having no identity papers on



The Jordanian paper al-Arab al-Yawm reported that

Iranian public opinion has been extremely concerned

over the fate of those prisoners and the conditions to

which they are being subjected in prison at the hands

of the British and especially the Americans.  The

release of the nine prisoners on Friday took place

after a recent visit by Jalal Talibani, current

president of the puppet Interim Governing Council, to



Talibani himself had requested the release of 45

Iranians, a list of whose names he said he had at the

beginning of November.  He also raised the issue of

Iranians claimed to be missing in Iraq.


According to al-Arab al-Yawm, it is believed that the

majority of the incarcerated Iranians are Shiite

pilgrims, but the flow of pilgrims who have been

secretly crossing the borders since the occupation of

Baghdad has increased doubts on the part of the

occupation forces to the point that there have been

repeated accusations that Iran is trying to undermine

the stability of Iraq.


Meanwhile, an article in the New York Times quoted an

American Army officer as saying that the US military

expect to 100,000 US troops to remain in Iraq until

early in the year 2006. (New York Times article

available at:



In other diplomatic news, the New York Times reported

that Iraq's puppet "leaders" on the puppet Iraqi

Governing Council had chosen an American citizen to

serve as Iraqi ambassador to the United States.


The appointment of Rend Rahim Francke, 54, director of

the so-called Iraq Foundation which she helped create

in 1991 is a long time lobbyist in Washington for

increased American support for subversive anti-Iraqi



Though born in Iraq, Francke only spent "some" of her

childhood in the country and has not lived in Iraq

since the 1970s.  A US citizen since 1987, her Iraqi

citizenship is in fact in some doubt since her Iraqi

passport had not been renewed since that time.


Francke comes from a globalist bourgeois background.

After attending boarding schools in England and

studying at Cambridge and the Sorbonne, Francke worked

as a banker and currency trader in Lebanon, Bahrain,

but mainly London and the United States.  According to

the New York Times, The Iraq Foundation was Francke's

"first plunge into political activism after a life in

business and finance."










Sunday, 23 November 2003.


In a bloody day for the US occupation in Iraq, the US

military admitted that five American soldiers were

killed on Sunday and three others wounded.


Resistance fighters slit the throats of two American

occupation soldiers who were stuck in a traffic jam in

the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Sunday, witnesses

said.  Al-Arab al-Yawm newspaper in Amman reported

that witnesses saw Resistance fighters spray a convoy

of three occupation vehicles with bullets in a

neighborhood in Mosul.  One witness told the newspaper

that two of the vehicles continued on their way, but

the third was damaged and crashed into a wall.  The

attackers then approached the wrecked vehicle took off

the soldiers' helmets and bulletproof vests and then

slit their throats, something that the US military

emphatically denied.


According to an Associated Press report, the corpses

of the two male soldiers could be seen lying in the

street next to their vehicle in Mosul's Ras al-Jadda

district with their throats cut. A crowd swarmed the

scene, looting the soldiers' vehicle and pummeling

their bodies, witnesses said.


Baha' Jasem, a teenager, said the soldiers' vehicle

crashed into a wall after the soldiers were killed.

Several dozen passers-by then descended on the

wreckage, looting the car of weapons and the soldiers'

backpacks. After the soldiers' bodies fell into the

street, the crowd pummeled them with concrete blocks,

Jasem said.


The US occupation military command in Baghdad first

said it had no information on the incident, and at a

news conference a US military official refused to

discuss the circumstances surrounding the deaths of

the two soldiers in Mosul. "It is our policy that we

do not go into specific details on injuries sustained

by soldiers," said Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, the

US military deputy director for operations. "We're not

going to get ghoulish about this."


Then later the US denied that the soldiers' throats

had been slit, claiming instead that the occupation

troops had simply been shot. A spokesman for the

occupation issued a story saying: "Two soldiers from

the 101st Airborne Division were killed shortly after

midday in west Mosul ...they were shot while en route

from one compound to another."  After the US military

spokesman made that statement the Associated Press

report was changed to include the sentence: "Several

witnesses also said the soldiers were shot during the

attack in the Ras al-Jadda district, though earlier

reports by witnesses said assailants slit the

soldiers' throats."


The witnesses said that US occupation troops

immediately surrounded the vehicle after the killing

and mass attack on the vehicle and began interrogating

Iraqis in the area.


Another US occupation soldier was killed and two

others injured on Sunday in a roadside bombing in

Baaqubah, northeast of Baghdad. According to US

military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Bill MacDonald,

the soldier, from the 4th Infantry Division was killed

and two others wounded when their convoy hit an

"improvised explosive device" in the road.  He added

that the incident happened at about 7:40am local time

(04:40 GMT).  The attack came only a day after car

bomb rocked the city's main police station, killing

seven policemen and two civilians, a US military

spokesman said.


According to the occupation forces, two American

soldiers died and a third was injured when their

American military vehicle crashed near Saddam

International Airport.


In In Samarra', north of Baghdad, Iraqi puppet police

reported that Resistance forces fired four

rocket-propelled grenades at the American military

garrison at the northern entrance to the city.

Thereafter, the police said, six US aggressor Apache

helicopter gunships blasted marshland near by, killing

an Iraqi passer-by in their air attack.


The killings occurred after US occupation helicopter

gunships struck targets in central Iraq on Sunday,

according to other witnesses. In Samarra', north of

Baghdad, Iraqi puppet police said


The Iraqi chief of puppet police in Latifiyah, about

20 miles south of Baghdad, and two officers were

killed Sunday when the car they were riding in was

attacked by small-arms fire, according to Brigadier

General Mark Kimmitt, the US military deputy director

for operations.


Unknown persons assassinated a leading member of the

Baath Party in Mosul, Yunus Suwadi when he was on his

way to pre-dawn prayers.  After shooting the

unfortunate, the killers ran over him with their car

to make sure he was dead.  The killers then escaped in

the pre-dawn darkness which prevented anyone from

identifying them or their car.


Pro-American Kurdish forces announced that they had

arrested three Turks whom they accused of being behind

the bombing of a Kurdish Party building.  The second

in command of the Kurdish National Union Party said

that the arrested Turks carried Turkish passports and

had satellite telephones in their possession.


Australia's foreign minister, Alexander Downer,

announced Sunday that his government suspects that an

Australian citizen, suspected of being a supporter of

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, was arrested by

British forces in Iraq.  Downer said that the

Australian prisoner who is 45 years of age works with

an international company and was arrested on Friday

after a raid on his house where a number of supporters

of the Iraqi president were meeting.


Downer said that the British will look into the case

of the Australian on Tuesday and that until now there

was insufficient information regarding the charges to

be made against him.


In a victory for the Resistance, the occupation

authorities on Sunday made the decision to halt civil

aviation to and from Saddam International Airport

after Saturday's attack on a DHL airplane that forced

the craft to turn around and make an emergency landing

after being struck by a Strela surface-to-air missile.



Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Monday, 24

November 2003.