For Albasrah net

Iraqi Resistance Report. Monday, 24 November 2003

 through Wednesday, 26 November 2003. 
Translated and/or

 compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member editorial board

of the Free Arab Voice.

Monday, 24 November 2003.

Iraqi Sunnis celebrated Eid al-Fitr, the Festival

marking the end of the month-long fast or Ramadan on

Monday even as the Iraqi Resistance continued its

struggle for the independence of Iraq against the

Anglo-American occupation.

Thousands of Sunni Iraqis gathered for pre-dawn

prayers in the Abu Hanifah mosque in Baghdad as

American helicopter gunships circled overhead

surveying the city after a series of small explosions

early on Monday.

As he left the mosque one worshipper, 'Abd al-Wadud

Dukhi, commented "I don't see this as a holiday.  If

the Americans left and a new government were formed

and a regime declared then every day would be a


On Monday the head of pious endowments of the Iraqi

Sunnis, 'Adnan ad-Dulaymi, called for a one-week cease

fire by the Resistance on the occasion of the Eid

al-Fitr.  He also called on the occupation to cease

opening fire and pursuing and hunting down Iraqis for

one week at least, so that Iraqis might enjoy the

holiday in peace and security.

In Baghdad's al-Husayn mosque, however, the Imam told

worshippers at the Eid al-Fitr prayers Monday that

support for the resistance is incumbent upon them.  He

said that the fervid citizen must not consider himself

to be enjoying a holiday until after the liberation of

Iraq.  He called for abandoning sectarian differences

and told worshippers to stand shoulder to shoulder and

to unite the Iraqi ranks.

Because of the Eid holiday, Dr. 'Imad al-'Ani, a

deputy of the Ministry of Electricity said that the

regular no-electricity black out hours would be

reduced for the occasion.

In the field, an American occupation army spokesman

told Agence France Press (AFP) that one American

soldier was wounded in an attack on a convoy in Mosul

on Monday morning.  The attack involved the detonation

of an explosive device together with an assault with

light firearms.  Iraqi puppet policeman Akram 'Abd

al-Karim said "we heard the sound of an explosion and

then the sound of small arms in the center of Mosul. 

We saw an American vehicle on fire but the American

army sealed off the site of the attack very quickly."

In the Zayunah district of Baghdad an explosive device

blew up damaging one American military Humvee as it

passed in a convoy.  The American occupation forces

then arrested one Iraqi in retaliation.

Iraqi puppet police official 'Ali 'Amid reported that

an American military convoy came under attack from

anti-tank grenades on one of bridges in Baghdad,

slightly damaging a Humvee.  A US military spokesman

said that an explosive device blew up as a convoy was

passing in Baghdad and damaged two Humvees.  The

spokesman made no mention of casualties and declined

to confirm whether these were both reports about the

same attack.

Puppet police commissioner Mundhir Ibrahim said that

the puppet police discovered an unexploded missile in

Abu Nuwas Street that goes along the banks of the

Tigris River.  An AFP correspondent said that US

occupation forces cordoned off the area in which the

missile was found.

In Baaqubah, a member of the puppet so-called Civil

Defense organization was stabbed and wounded when he

was attacked by unknown men who called him a traitor. 

Muhammad Shihab told AFP "I was going to work in the

Offices of the Governorate when two men who had been

riding a horse cart stopped in front of me.  They

asked me if I was in the Civil Defense.  I said,

'Yes.'  Then one of them said, 'You're a traitor and

I'm going to butcher all of you, one after the other.'

 Then he attacked me with the dagger and I covered my

face with my hand," whereupon Shihab pointed to his

injured hand.

Shihab said his colleagues heard his screams and

rushed to his aid.  One of the attackers was arrested

but the other got away.

Elsewhere, US occupation Lieutenant Colonell Bill

MacDonald reprorted that American troops killed two

Iraqis in two separate incidents in northern Iraq.  In

one case, he said, American occupation forces were

attacked as they were searching a field near Baghdad. 

The Americans responded (to the gunfire) and killed an


In another incident, MacDonald said, the soldiers

fired a warning shot near a car that was approaching a

checkpoint in Dur, 150km north of Baghdad.  The

soldiers said that when that driver failed to stop

they opened fire on the car, killing one passenger and

wounding the other.

The Iraqi Resistance on Monday blew up an important

gas pipeline in northern Iraq.  The resulting fire was

so huge, according to the BBC, that the glow could be

seen in the night sky in the town of Kirkuk, 30km

away.  The attack is expected to disrupt production at

Iraq's largest oil refinery, according to occupation


In Kirkuk the North Oil Company (Sharikat Naft

ash-Shimal) told the Agence France Presse (AFP) that

an explosive device caused explosion and fire on the


The attack stopped the flow of gas from Jambur oil

field to a power plant in the town of Bayji.  That, in

turn, is likely to result in disruption of oil

production at the refinery in Bayji – the largest

refinery in Iraq – according to the chief of North

Oil's company fire department.

In other news, the first batch of 106 Iraqi puppet

police have completed a course of training in Jordan,

a state which has offered to train 32,000 Iraqi puppet

police over the next two years, according to the BBC.

In Baghdad, the offices of the Dubai-based satellite

TV al-Arabiyah station have been closed by the

occupation authorities for "incitement to murder"

after the station broadcast recorded statements by

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein calling for resistance

to the occupation.

The Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer, on

Monday announced that British occupation forces had

released on Sunday an Australian citizen of Iraqi

decent who had been suspected of supporting the Baath

Party.  The man, who was identified by Australian

newspapers as Nuri 'Alwan, 45, was arrested during a

raid by British occupation forces on a house in the

southern Iraqi city of Umm Qasr that they suspected

was a refuge for supporters of Iraqi President Saddam


Downer said that the man works for a British company

in Iraq and was arrested, apparently, by mistake.

The current head of the puppet Interim Governing

Council in Iraq, the Kurdistani National Union Party

leader Jalal Talibani announced that the puppet

council has a comprehensive plan for "fighting

terrorism" as he called it that involves military

measures as well as mobilization of Iraqi citizens. 

He told a press conference that the plan involves

military measures as well as self-defense measures on

the part of forces and political parties.  He said

that the plan is also to include a broad public and

propaganda campaign against what he called "terror"

that will begin next month with organized

demonstrations from Zakhu in the north to Basra in the

south of Iraq.

Talibani also said that Iran is prepared to grant an

amnesty to a number of the members of the Mujahidi

Khalq Organization, the main armed opposition group

that had been operating out of Iraqi territory against

the Iranian government.  There were reports during the

American invasion of Iraq that the Mujahidi Khalq had

assisted or at least agreed not to obstruct the

progress of US invasion forces.

Talibani on Monday also denied reports according to

which he had accused Syria of facilitating the

infiltration of Arab fighters into Iraq.  Talibani

proclaimed the strong desire of his Council for good

relations with Damascus.

Meanwhile 'Abd al-'Aziz al-Hakim, a Shiite member of

the puppet so-called Interim Governing Council said

that the presence of foreign forces in Iraq must be on

the basis of a resolution issued by the United Nations

and must have the agreement of the Iraqi people.

Al-Hakim, who heads the Supreme Council of the Islamic

Revolution in Iraq, said that the invasion of foreign

forces was an "exceptional" situation that did damage

to Iraqi sovereignty.  He added in a statement for Eid

al-Fitr that the presence and deployment of foreign

forces should be by under United Nations resolutions

and it must have the agreement of the Iraqi side.  He

added that the Iraqi people's opinion should be taken

on the matter of the presence and duration of stay of

the foreign forces.

The newly appointed "Iraqi Ambassador" to Washington,

American citizen Rend Francke spoke to AFP and offered

some minor criticisms of US policy in Iraq, saying

that the Americans were still excessively emphasizing

the military side of their role and had disbanded the

Iraqi army too quickly (which left a large number of

people suddenly without an income.  She said however

that she thought that the US had recognized its

mistakes and that things now were on the "correct


Meanwhile, one of the American aggressors' closest

allies, Spanish Foreign Minster Ana Palacios said on

Monday that daily life in Baghdad is now worse than it

was in the time of Saddam Hussein because of the lack

of security.

Speaking on Spanish television, TVE, Palacios said

that there is a serious security problem in Iraq and

that daily life, in Baghdad in the first place, is

witnessing a time worse than that of Saddam Hussein. 

She said that the blame for this lies with the

so-called temporary Coalition authority and the Iraqi


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Tuesday, 25 November 2003.




Tuesday, 25 November 2003.

Al-Jazeera TV's correspondent in Baghdad reports that

the sound of explosions was heard in central Baghdad

Tuesday night as three rockets slammed into living

quarters adjacent to the compound housing the

occupation forces command.  There were no reports

concerning the extent of casualties or material


Two missiles hit the 28th April Compund, which is

called the Peace Compound.  One of them exploded, the

other failed to explode.  The third rocket struck the

al-'Alawi neighborhood.

Residents of the neighborhood in central Baghdad near

the compound of the American command said that at

least two missiles hit near the place.  A huge crater

was left in the road, but there was no indication that

there were any casualties.

A spokesman for the US occupation's 1st Armored

Division, Captain David Gercken, said rockets hit a

bus station, a propane station and an apartment

building, wounding two Iraqis, near - but not in - the

so-called "Green Zone," surrounding the occupied

Republican Palace which the US aggressor forces have

turned into their headquarters.


Around noon on Tuesday two powerful explosions were

heard in Baghdad, but the US occupation forces claimed

that the blasts were the sound of their own forces

destroying ammunition.

Tuesday the US occupation forces announced that two

American occupation troops killed three Iraqis who

were planting a mine on an expressway near

al-Fallujah, 60km west of Baghdad.  Two other Iraqis

in the Resistance team escaped.

The al-Busayf district near ar-Ramadi held a funeral

for eight Iraqis killed by the occupation troops

during their campaign of raids, searches, and arrests

two days ago.

In Kirkuk on Tuesday three Iraqis, two of them puppet

policemen, were wounded when a bomb exploded at the

entrance to the Kirkuk Palace Hotel, where

representatives of an American oil company and a

number of Turkish companies as well as foreign

journalists are staying.

Contrary to recent American claims that the Iraqi

Resistance was no longer attacking American occupation

troops, US Colonel William Darley declared Tuesday 25

November 2003, that attacks against US occupation

forces peaked at more than 40 per day about two weeks

ago and have since dropped to about 30 per day - about

the same as in October and well over the number in

August and September.  Statements from the Resistance

indicated that they had declared the beginning of

Ramadan a period of escalated struggle against the

occupation.  That would coincide with what Darley

described as a "peak" in Resistance attacks.

Meanhwile, American Proconsul Paul Bremer rejected a

call by some Iraqi religious leaders for a one-week

ceasefire on the occasion of the end of Ramadan.






Wednesday, 26 November 2003.

US occupation forces admitted that one American

soldier died in Mosul of wounds received in combat

with the Iraqi Resistance.

Two Americans were wounded in two battles with Iraqi

Resistance forces that occurred late on Wednesday in

Mosul.  The American aggressor forces reportedly

killed five Iraqis, including a 12-year-old boy in

those clashes, according to a report by the Agence

France Presse (AFP).  Four Iraqi passers by were also

seriously injured.

In ar-Ramadi, an American Humvee military vehicle was

damaged by an explosive device planted by the Iraqi

Resistance at the entrance to the city.  Al-Jazeera's

correspondent reported that eyewitnesses said that the

incident left a number of American soldiers wounded.

Members of the Iraqi Resistance threatened that they

planned to launch attacks with unconventional weapons

on the occupation forces, according to a report

carried by the Qatari News Agency from Baghdad. An

organization calling itself the Army of the Liberation

of Iraq threatened to launch operations against camps

places of concentration of the American forces.  It

therefore warned local people against getting near to

the occupation troops.   In a communiqué that was

circulating on a limited scale Wednesday night in

al-A'zamiyah district of Baghdad, the Resistance group

stressed that it would use use types of weapons that

produce large-scale losses.  It demanded that Iraqi

citizens working with the occupation forces leave

their jobs immediately.

Resistance fighters in Mosul fired at two shuttle

busses travelling from a US occupation forces compound

but the US military reported no casualties in that


In Mosul US occupation troops killed a girl and

injured three people in a pickup truck that was

approaching US soldiers who had earlier been shot at

in the shuttlebus attack, according to the version of

the incident related by the US aggressors.  No weapons

were found in the truck.

On Wednesday witnesses near the village of Sharqat,

north of Baghdad reported sheets of flame and thick

black smoke shooting from a damaged pipeline at Taza,

about 25km south of Kirkuk, not far from Iraq's

largest oil refinery.  A spokesman in the North Oil

company said that the fire in a gas pipeline broke out

on Wednesday, but was quickly brought under control

and did not harm the oil pipelines.  The Iraqi

Resistance targets the country's oil infrastructure in

order to prevent the occupation from exploiting and

profiting from the nation's national resources.

US occupation troops of the 4th Infantry Division in

Samarra' arrested the wife and daughter of 'Izzat

Ibrahim ad-Duri, Vice Chairman of the Revolution

Command Council of Iraq, a man whom the US believes is

behind many of the Resistance attacks on the

occupation forces.  Shortly before the US invasion

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein put 'Izzat Ibrahim in

charge of Iraqi defenses in the north of the country. 

In cowboy style, the US occupation put up a reward of

$10 million "for information leading to his capture."

In Baaqubah occupation forces arrested three Iraqis

and confiscated a quantity of weapons in the course of

nighttime raids in one of the city's neighborhoods.

South of Baghdad, occupation forces have launched a

large campaign of raids, searches, and arrests. 

Taking part in the repression are 100 soldiers with

armored vehicles and a number of the puppet so-called

Iraqi Civil Defense Force.  A US occupation spokesman

said that they had discovered "quantities" of machine

guns and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

The US Department of Defense announced that Donald

Rumsfeld had issued directives to the United States

Marine Corps to send 3,000 additional individuals to

Iraq amidst signs that the Resistance is intensifying.