For Albasrah net

Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 27 November 2003

 through Sunday, 
30 November 2003.  
Translated and

 compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial board

Free Arab Voice.

Thursday, 27 November 2003.

AL-Jazeera reported that the US occupation's 82nd

Airborne Division in Iraq admitted one American

soldier died of a gunshot wound on Thursday in a

barracks in ar-Ramadi, 100km west of Baghdad.  They

gave no information on the circumstances in which he

was fatally wounded.

An American military convoy was attacked on Thursday

on the main highway west of Baghdad near the town of

Abu Ghurayb according to witnesses.  An Associated

Press Television  News cameraman filmed two flatbed

military trucks that were abandoned and left with

their cabs blazing fiercely, as dozens of townspeople

converged to take spoils, such as tires and other

vehicle parts.  The occupation forces had no immediate

information on the attack.

Iraqi Resistance fighters fired a rocket-propelled

grenade on Wednsday-Thursday night at the Italian

Embassy in Baghdad.  Occupation forces said there were

no casualties although the building was damaged.

In Mosul on Thursday, Resistance fighters shot dead a

sergeant in the Iraqi puppet police, according to a

report by puppet police Brigadier General Muwaffaq


The US occupation on Thursday reported the death on

Wednesday of the Iraqi commander for air defenses in

the Republican Guard, Major General 'Abd Hamed

Mawhush, due to "natural causes" while he was under


The Iraqi puppet police announced on Friday that two

Iraqi sisters, aged 12 and 15 were killed Thursday

afternoon by American aggressor gunfire near Baaqubah,

60km northwest of Baghdad.

The brother of the two young girls, Qusay Hasan 'Ali,

18, said that his sisters, 'Adhra', 12, and Fatimah,

15, "were killed by gunfire from the American forces

concentrated in Ibn Firnas Airport in al-Aswad

village," seven kilometers northwest of Baaqubah.  He

said that his sisters were killed "while they were

gathering firewood on some land about 30meters from

the American position.  One of my sisters was killed

immediately, but Fatimah managed to flee a short

distance in spite of her wounds, but then she died of

her wounds."

The Iraqi puppet police also announced that an Iraqi

policeman had been wounded on Thursday in a grenade

attack near a police checkpoint in al-Miqdadiyah.

The Iraqi puppet police reported that an Iraqi driver

was killed on Thursday "by mistake" by American forces

in Kirkuk.  This is the fifth such incident in that

location to be reported over a few months.  Riyad

'Abdallah, 25, was in his car driving at a normal

speed when US forces opened fire on him, the puppet

police commander 'Adnan Muhammad Sadr said.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm, daily newspaper, Amman,

Friday, 28 November 2003. al-Arab al-Yawm,

daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Saturday, 29 November




Friday, 28 November 2003.

One American occupation soldier was killed when the

Iraqi Resistance lobbed four mortar shells into the

main US military barracks occupied by the 101st

Airborne Division in the northern city of Mosul on


The US forces said that one soldier was seriously

wounded when a roadside bomb struck a convoy

travelling near the town of Samarra', north of


Quds Press reprorts that the "Command of the

Resistance and Liberation – Political Department" has

announced that it has decided to authorize one of its

officials to contact internal and external forces so

that the Resistance could be the sole legitimate

representative of the Iraqi people abroad.  It called

on the news media that serve the occupation forces or

that cooperate with them to leave Iraq before they are

targeted by Resistance operations.

The Command of the Iraqi Resistance and Liberation

said in a communiqué, a copy of which was received by

Quds Press that their "operations against the American

and British occupation forces and those cooperating

with them will never stop until unconditional the

departure in a humiliated state of the last criminal

of the occupation forces."

It declared that they "would make it so that the

occupation forces would find no one to carry the

putrid bodies of their dead," and that they "would

make the departure of the occupation forces occur

faster than the traitors can imagine, so fast that

they will have no chance to catch up with the

departing enemies of Iraq when they are finally

routed, by the grace of God."

Command of the Iraqi Resistance and Liberation

declared that it had decided to "authorize its

political coordinator to contact all Arab and

international patriotic forces, and before them the

Iraqi patriotic forces so that the Resistance alone

would be the sole legitimate representative of the

Iraqi people."

Special Report: Exclusive article From Akhbar

al-Khalij by Dr. Hamid 'Abdallah.  Akhbar al-Khalij,

No. 9380, Friday, 28 November 2003.

The Bahraini newspaper Akhbar al-Khalij has reported

that as the US forces promise a number of tribal

shaykhs in ar-Ramadi that they will be pulling out of

the city at the beginning of next January, the

Resistance has issued a final threat to four of the

major tribal shaykhs to stop all collaboration with

the American forces and to put a halt to all forms of

collusion with them. The threat was directed at Shaykh

Nasr 'Abd al-Karim, head of the al-Bu Fahd tribe;

Fawzi Abu Rishah, Shaykh of al-Bu Rishah; Bazi'

al-Ka'ud, Shaykh of al-Bu Nimr; and 'Amer 'Ali

as-Sulayman, Shaykh of al-Bu 'Assaf.

The four tribal leaders were informed of the threats

via posters that appeared on the doors of the mosques

in the city, the best way to get any message to any

person since all the population of ar-Ramadi goes to

the mosques at the five times of prayer.  In this way,

the posters attain their aim in the fastest possible

way and reach the largest possible audience.

Locals say that the Shaykhs of the area were divided

among themselves on how to deal with the occupation

forces.  Some pushed for cooperation with the forces,

making themselves targets for the Resistance.  The

rest took to the Resistance trench of rejection and

they thereby suffered arrest, interrogation, and the

status of fugitives.  Reliable sources in the city

say, however, that the number of shaykhs cooperating

with the occupation forces is gradually dwindling,

either because of the threats coming from the

Resistance, or because of a somewhat belated patriotic

awakening.  The change has been particularly marked as

it has been confirmed that the Americans' promises

were so much hot air.  The sources point out that

Shaykh 'Amer as-Sulayman is the top target of the

Resistance because he took on the responsibility of

negotiating with the American forces and surrendering

the City of ar-Ramadi just two days after the fall of

Baghdad.  It was this that prompted members of the

Resistance to destroy the luxury car used to receive

guests and to severely wound one of his sons.

Meanwhile the Director of the puppet police in

ar-Ramadi, Major General Ja'dan ad-Dulaymi was the

object of an assassination attempt for the third time

during the Eid al-Fitr, after having survived to

earlier attempts on his life.  Sources in ar-Ramadi

governorate said that ad-Dulaymi had been seriously

wounded in one of the assassination attempts and was

bedridden for several months.  They pointed out that

Ja'dan ad-Dulaymi had been a high-ranking cadre in the

Baath Party but was the first to tear up the picture

of Saddam Hussein, announcing, immediately after the

arrival of the occupation forces, his abandonment of

the Baath and his split with the former regime.  This

behavior placed him among the traitors as far as the

Resistance was concerned.

Ar-Ramadi is slated to be the first Iraqi city from

which occupation forces have indicated that they are

to be withdrawn.  This is a result of the pressure of

the Resistance and has only served to further

encourage the people of the Iraq's cities –

particularly those in the so-called Sunni Triangle –

to follow the path taken by ar-Ramadi and to expel the

occupation forces by force of arms.

Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm, daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Saturday, 29 November 2003.




Saturday, 29 November 2003.

Iraqi Resistance fighters ambushed a military convoy

in western Iraq near the border with Syria on Saturday

afternoon, killing two American occupation soldiers

and wounding another, the US military said Sunday. 

The Resistance attackers opened fire on the 3rd

Armored Cavalry Regiment task force with automatic

weapons and rocket-propelled grenades near the border

town of al-Husaybiyah, 180 miles northwest of Baghdad,

where the US troops were traveling on the expressway

in the Euphrates Valley, the American statement said. 

One Resistance fighter died a martyr in the attack and

the occupation forces said that they arrested nine

Iraqis afterward.

Seven members of a Spanish intelligence team, part of

the occupation forces in Iraq, were killed and one

other wounded when the Iraqi Resistance attack their

vehicles Saturday with small arms and rocket-propelled

grenades.  There were reports of two burning vehicles

and two bodies.  A spokesman for the Spanish Defense

Ministry said that three helicopters of Spain's Plus

Ultra Brigade were in the area to evacuate survivors. 

The team was from Spain's National Intelligence

Center, part of the defense ministry, the official


Western media reports differed as to whether the

attack occurred north or south of the town of


Initially, a spokesman for the Spanish Defense

Ministry said that the eight-member team was attacked

in Suwayrah, 18 miles south of al-Hillah, as it was

returning from a mission.  Later, Spanish Defense

Minister Federico Trillo said that the attack occurred

in Mahmudiyah, 18 miles south of Baghdad.

Captain Ivan Morgan, a spokesman for the so-called

multinational division in southern Iraq, on the other

hand, said that the two "civilian" (i.e., unmarked)

four-wheel-drive vehicles were traveling south from

Baghdad to the city of Hillah. Morgan described the

men as Spanish soldiers attached to an intelligence


Footage shot by Sky News shortly after the attack

showed a crowd of about a dozen men gathered around

the bodies, chanting: "We sacrifice our souls and

blood for you, oh Saddam." One young man could be seen

planting his foot on one of the bodies while another

kicked it. 

The cameraman who shot the footage, Adam Murch, said

he could see two destroyed vehicles - one still

burning - and four bodies on the road. He described

the crowd as jubilant, and said some of the youths

said the bodies belonged to CIA agents.

The Spanish regime has been one of the staunchest

supporters of the American aggression against Iraq and

sent 1,300 soldiers to help in the imperialist-Zionist

occupation of the country.

Television footage showed a small group of youths

gathered after the attack, chanting slogans in support

of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and kicking the


Rajiv Chandrasekaran, a reporter for The Washington

Post, spoke with several witnesses in the crowd. Based

on what they said, he described it as a

"sophisticated, coordinated attack."  One or two cars

with Resistance fighters loyal to Iraqi President

Saddam Hussein were following the Spanish team, the

witnesses told him. Near the site, they opened fire on

the SUVs, forcing the lead vehicle off the road. "A

second band of attackers laying in wait opened fire

with rocket-propelled grenades and Kalashnikovs," he

said.  The first car caught on fire, and a 20-minute

gun battle ensued, he said, based on the witness


Chandrasekaran said a crowd of about 100 people

gathered, and added he saw people kicking the bodies.

"It was hostility mixed with jubilation."

In reports published on Sunday local eyewitnesses and

participants in the attack on the Spanish intelligence

officers said that the Resistance had prepared an

ambush for the Spaniards in advance.

"Muhammad", 35, speaking near the burned out carcass

of an occupation vehicle that had come to rest 50

meters from the main road connecting Baghdad with

al-Latifiyah, said "the Resistance fighters waited for

them there, 200 meters in a parked car on the side of

the road.  From there they fired a grenade that hit

this car."

Muhammad who was in front of his house adjacent to the

scene of the attack, said "the two other Spanish

vehicles carried on some 200 meters.  Then the first

turned after it had caught fire.  The second stopped

level with it and its occupants began firing in every


Muhammad went on: "The attackers' car turned in front

of them to attack them frontally with their machine

guns.  The exchange of gunfire lasted about a quarter

of an hour until the Spaniards were killed, despite

the fact that three of them left their vehicles trying

to flee."

Fawwaz, 31, a taxi driver who lives in the same area

said that other attackers "who had headscarves over

their faces provided covering fire with their

machineguns to the members of the Resistance who were

in the car.  We didn't know where they came from."

'Ali, 25, said that the people of the area didn't know

the nationality of the dead who were driving a

civilian car.  He said, "we thought they were


Hazem, 20, said "the bodies of the dead lay there in

place for a long time before the American forces

arrived and worked at evacuating them by helicopter. 

Before they cam a number of youths and men gathered

around the bodies that were strewn by the side of the

road and kicked them with their feet as some of them

shouted slogans in support of Saddam Hussein."

Elsewhere, an American occupation patrol in Baghdad

came under mortar attack on a major street in the

city.  A US occupation spokesman stated that the

attack left no casualties and that the Iraqi puppet

police cordoned off the area in which the attack took


Two Japanese diplomats were killed Saturday when their

car was attacked by Resistance fighters near the city

of Tikrit, Tokyo announced on Sunday.  Yorkiko

Kawaguchi said that the two had been in Tikrit to

attend a conference on the so-called "reconstruction"

of Iraq, in other words the reconstruction of Iraq

using imperialist contractors and in order to serve

the globalist order.

These were the first reported deaths of Japanese in

Iraq since the US invasion and press reports suggest

that it might have an adverse impact on the Tokyo

regime's ability to go ahead with its plans to send

"non-combat troops" to aid the Americans in

reinforcing their occupation of the country.

The Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has been

a staunch supporter of US aggression in Iraq, despite

public discontent in Japan with the prospect of

dispatching troops to aid the US invasion forces.  The

sending of Japanese ground forces to Iraq would mark

the first time since the days of militarist Japan's

aggression in World War II that Japanese troops would

have set foot in a country at war.

On Sunday, US occupaton General Mark Kimmit reported

that a civilian contractor of Colombian nationality

was killed by the Iraqi Resistance on Saturday morning

near the town of Balad.  Two of his companions were

wounded.  Resistance fighters opened fire on their

convoy with light weapons.

The US occupation forces reported that American

soldiers shot a seven-year-old Iraqi child in the

thigh when they saw him carrying an AK-47 Kalashnikov

assault rifle during one of their raids in the city of

ar-Ramadi, 100km west of Baghdad.  The child was taken

to the hospital in ar-Ramadi, but due to the

seriousness of his injuries, he was transferred to a

medical facility in Baghdad.

Elsewhere, US occupation forces arrested 41 persons

whom they suspect of involvement in attacks against

the occupiers.  The US claims that one of those

arrested had helped volunteer fighters from outside

Iraq to get into the country to join the struggle

against the aggressor forces.  Those arrested included

37 persons arrested in an American wave of searches

and arrests in an area east of the city of ar-Ramadi

(which is west of Baghdad), three persons suspected of

attacking the family ar-Ramadi's puppet police

commander two weeks ago, plus one person named Fawwaz

Khalaf whom a statement issued by the US occupation

describes as the "leader of a cell that aided

infiltration of foreign fighters into and out of


US occupation forces in Iraq expressed the belief that

members of their own puppet police force have taken

part in and coordinated a long string of attacks on US

and puppet Iraqi targets.  Lieutenant General Ricardo

Sanchez told reporters at the occupied Baghdad

Convention Center that although the occupation forces

try to screen the Iraqis whom they have recruited into

the puppet police force, "There have been instances

when police were coordinating attacks against the

coalition and against the people," he said.  In

keeping with the claims of the US aggressors that they

have invaded Iraq to liberate the people similarly the

occupation forces claim to be defending "the people"

in their fight against the Resistance.

Sanchez also said that a "new phase in the war against

Iraq" code named "Iraqi Freedom II" (since "freedom"

did not work the first time, apparently) would begin

as the forces currently in the occupied country are

rotated out and are replaced by new units, including

several thousand US Marines.  Sanchez said that the

composition of the occupation forces would change,

with more infantry and greater mobility, but with

transportation, logistics, and communications tasks

going to "civilian contractors" whose casualties, of

course, would not be counted as military deaths and

injuries.  Sanchez said that he saw no need for an

overall increase of US forces in Iraq, but if

"civilian contractors" take up a significant part of

the jobs now being performed by military personnel,

the net result could easily be a sizable increase in

the US presence in Iraq.

Along similar lines, the US President, George Bush,

sought to relieve and cover up some of the rising

costs of America's offensive against the world by

urging Americans to volunteer to help military

personnel and their families, the Associated Press


The Associated Press reported that the US imperialist

Department of Defense had announced this month

(November) month that the total number of U.S. troops

in Iraq would drop to about 105,000 after troop

rotations that start in January 2004 are completed in

May. But the additional marines appear to bump up that

total to 110,000.

Although US spokesmen strike arrogant poses to try to

convince people that the initiative is in their hands,

the next stage of the US strategy of aggression in

Iraq is in fact clearly being dictated by the rising

tide of Resistance.  The US plans to counter this

challenge by relying on more offensive and genocidal

tactics.  Sanchez was quoted by the AP as saying:

"There's no way we're going to put this mission at

risk in terms of combat power," thereby explaining the

need for the marines, whose normal tasks, the AP

explained, tend toward invasions, not occupation

duties.  "What we're in search of is a very mobile,

very flexible, lethal force that can accomplish its

mission. Those terms are dictated by the enemy,"

Sanchez said.

Meanwhile, Sanchez produced different figures

regarding the intensity of the Resistance from the

figures cited by US sources just days ago.  Sanchez on

Saturday claimed that the number of daily Resistance

attacks in the last seven days averaged 22, whereas

two weeks previously it had been at 50.  Earlier

American claims had indicated a peak number of 40

attacks per day two weeks ago, and 30 daily attacks at


In fact all such official figures are quite remote

from reality as even the British imperialist newspaper

The Scotsman acknowledged on Sunday, 30 November 2003,

that the actual number of Iraqi Resistance attacks on

occupation forces is now running at 130 per day. (See:


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Sunday, 30 November 2003. Al-Arab al-Yawm

daily newspaper, Amman, Jordan, Monday, 1 December











Sunday, 30 November 2003.

Iraqi Resistance forces shot and killed two south

Korean electricians and wounded two other south

Koreans (one of them seriously) near Tikrit, according

to a report from the south Korean Yonhap news agency

issued early on Monday, Korea time.  The two

electricians were machine gunned while riding in a car

on their way to Tikrit, north of Baghdad, where they

had been working at an electric power transmission

station, the South Korean news agency quoted the south

Korean regime's Foreign Ministry Director General Lee

Kwang-jae as saying. The report did not say when the

shooting occurred.

In keeping with the dependent character of south

Korea's economy and politics, the electricians worked

for a firm contracted by a US imperialist company to

lay electric power lines, Yonhap reported. The dead

were Lee Sang-won and Lim Dae-shik, according to the

Foreign Ministry director.

Two US occupation logistical convoys were moving into

Samarra' when they encountered a barricade at which

they were attacked with roadside bombs, small arms

fire, mortars and rocket-propelled grenades. The

Resistance fighters opened fire on the aggressor

troops from rooftops and alleyways, according to the

US military spokesman. Lieutenant Colonel William

MacDonald of the US occupation troops' 4th Infantry

Division described the attack as massive and well

coordinated and added that dead Resistance fighters

were found wearing uniforms of Saddam's Fedayeen, a

militia loyal to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.  The

attacks - one on the east side of the city, the other

on the west - were simultaneous, MacDonald said. 

"This is the largest one [i.e., attack] for our task

force since we've been in theater," he said.

He said U.S. soldiers returned fire from several

locations at each ambush, using small arms, 120mm tank

rounds and 25mm canon fire from Bradley fighting

vehicles. The US aggressors' gun fire destroyed three

buildings the attackers were using, Macdonald said.

The occupation forces claimed that they repulsed the

Resistance attacks, killing 46 Iraqis, wounding at

least 18, and capturing eight.  The occupation forces

said that five American soldiers and a civilian were

wounded.  None of the wounded Americans suffered

life-threatening injuries, MacDonald said. Two

sustained only minor injuries, while the other three

were evacuated to a hospital, along with the wounded


About one hour later the four Resistance fighters with

automatic rifles launched a separate attack, according

to the US occupation spokesman, on another convoy of

US military engineers. The soldiers returned fire,

wounding all four Resistance men, MacDonald said. He

said soldiers found AK-47 Kalashnikov assault rifles

and grenade launchers in their car, a black BMW.

Three Iraqis died as martyrs in a bomb explosion when

they were attempting to plant a mine on a road used by

US occupation forces west of Kirkuk.

In Kirkuk, the puppet police announced that they had

discovered a bomb planted under an oil pipeline that

carries Iraqi oil from the Kirkuk oil fields to Ceyhan

port in Turkey.  The explosive was disarmed.

An officer in the puppet police in al-Fallujah, Ahmad

'Alwan, said that the American army had delivered to

the puppet police of the city seven bodies of unknown

identity.  An American military spokesman in Baghdad

was asked twice about this matter but he insisted that

he knew nothing but that he would investigate the


The policeman said "the American forces contacted us

and told us to pick up seven bodies of unknown

identity from in front of their base located at the

entrance to al-Fallujah." He said that the corpses

were wrapped in the black plastic bags regularly used

by the American forces.  There was no explanation

regarding the circumstances of the deaths of those

persons nor their nationality.

'Ali Khamis Sirhan, a physician in al-Fallujah

Hospital where the bodies were taken, explained that

many residents of the city, including relatives of

missing persons have attempted in vain to identify the


Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm, daily newspaper, Amman,

Jordan, Monday, 1 December 2003.